CUREE values its reputation as an objective source of information on earthquake engineering research and is also obligated to reflect the high standards of the universities that constitute CUREEs institutional membership. The following Website Integrity Policy is designed to assure those who use the CUREE website that we adhere to criteria appropriate to our non-profit purpose, rather than conforming to minimal prevailing commercial standards.
1. No advertisements. The CUREE website does not accept advertisements, nor do we endorse products or services.
2. Search functions and links to other sites are not biased by any form of payment or favoritism. The practice of steering the users of a website to particular content based on fees received by that website, rather than based only on objective criteria, is called pay for placement and is common among commercial portals and search engines. The CUREE website does not bias the way its search functions operate, nor does it accept payments to place links to other sites.
4. Neither spyware nor adware are used. Some websites install programs on a user's computer when files are downloaded or the website is visited, so that subsequent Internet usage is recorded and reported (which is spyware). That tracking data is then provided to advertisers for a fee so that ads appear as the user browses the web (which is adware).
5. Contact information is not given to others. When individuals provide their contact information to CUREE, such as when ordering publications, that information is not made available by CUREE to others. From time to time, CUREE selectively passes on announcements of events, publications, or other information resources in the earthquake engineering field to our distribution lists. Examples of such announcements are openings in engineering schools for university faculty positions or notices of engineering conferences. Anyone receiving unwanted information from CUREE may contact the CUREE office to be removed from our distribution list.
6. CUREE places a priority on the accuracy of information we provide. While CUREE is supportive of earthquake loss reduction efforts and seeks to include such activities in its programs, a priority is placed on the accuracy of the information we provide rather than its motivational value in lobbying for or boosting a particular earthquake-related cause. Please contact us if you feel that any information on our website is inaccurate or lacks objectivity.