Exhibit Area 1
(Plaza area)
Welcome Sign [main directory]
How the Bridge Spans the Golden Gate
Bridge Aesthetics - Art Deco on a Grand Scale
Tall and Strong - The Bridge Towers
Steel, Fog, Salt, Rust, and Paint

Exhibit Area 2
(near flagpole)
How the Bridge Vibrates
Foghorns

Exhibit Area 3
(West side of Bridge near underpass)
Historic Preservation: Lattice Strut Retrofit
Historic Preservation: Isolator Seismic Retrofit

Exhibit Area 4
(inside Battery area)
History: Design and Construction of the Bridge
Suspension Cable Tension vs. Tower Height
Battery Lancaster - Defending the Golden Gate

Exhibit Area 5
(along bike path to lower parking lot)
Bridge Deck Aerodynamics
Bridge Deck Torsional Resistance Retrofit
Wind Speed and Wind Pressure

Exhibit Area 6
(near Pavillion)
LIFETILES: animated construction of the Bridge
Braille / Tactile Model of the Bridge



Project Partners

GGBHTD
Golden Gate Bridge,
Highway and Transporation District



CUREE

Consortium of Universities for Research
in Earthquake Engineering

Main Menu : Exhibit Area 4

Battery Lancaster *

DEFENDING THE GOLDEN GATE

Battery Lancaster, the northernmost of Fort Winfield Scott's coastal defense batteries, was part of a chain of fortifications that spanned the Golden Gate.

Battery Lancaster's mission was unique, among the many artillery installations on this bluff. From 1900 through World War I, Lancaster's three guns offered the only artillery coverage from the south for the narrowest part of the harbor entrance.

In addition to the gun pit, and the two gun emplacements, Battery Lancaster featured several underground rooms and ammunition magazines. Most of these were buried or destroyed by construction of the Golden Gate Bridge in the early 1930s. However, portions survived and the battery saw service again during World War II.

Following the attack on Pearl Harbor, soldiers were sent to defend the Bridge. The commanding officer selected flat ground near the toll plaza for the company's antiaircraft guns and set up his headquarters, and quarters for his soldiers, in what remained of Battery Lancaster.

World War II Defenses

Under the command of Captain Harry Freeman, World War II troops protected theGolden Gate Bridge with antiaircraft guns and lived in Battery Lancaster, in underground rooms beneath the Bridge toll plaza.

MORE IMAGES

The 12-inch rifles installed in Battery Lancaster in 1900 were mounted on carriages that enabled them to drop down behind the battery's parapet and out of the enemy's sight after firing.

These breech-loading guns were declared obsolete and removed in 1918.

Ropes were pulled through these metal rings located around the battery in order to maneuver the heavy guns into position.

Antiaircraft gun

Captain Harry Freeman and company mascot, circa 1942.



Note: This display is not part of the NSF funded Golden Gate Bridge Outdoor Exhibition project


[return to main menu]

Last updated: 11.16.12