Concrete Fortification Wall Cross-section
The cut through the Battery Lancaster wall provides the view and circulation to the north, and also reveals a cross-section of a 15-foot-thick defensive wall, behind which a cannon was placed in 1898. By then, cannon fire from ships had become more powerful, making such defensive works necessary.
STATUS: This exhibit is not within the original scope of this project.
Funding for the project has been provided by the Division of Research on Learning in Formal and Informal Settings, National Science Foundation. Dr. Al DeSena is the NSF project officer for this award. Any opinions, findings, conclusions or recommendations expressed in this material are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of the National Science Foundation.
All images are the property of the Golden Gate Bridge, Highway and Transportation District and cannot be re-used without its permission. Contact Mary Currie, Public Affairs Director, email@example.com