The Consortium of Universities for Research in Earthquake Engineering (CUREE) is a non-profit organization, established in 1988, devoted to the advancement of earthquake engineering research, education and implementation.
- Free downloadable pdf of CUREE Multi-volume Papers on the Northridge Earthquake - As the twentieth anniversary of the earthquake approaches, readers are invited to a free pdf copy of the Proceedings of the NEHRP Conference and Workshop on Research on the Northridge, California Earthquake of January 17, 1994. [read more]
- Election Results: Congratulations to Professors Maria Garlock, Wilfred Iwan, Tara Hutchinson and Ronald Pak on their recent election to the 2014 CUREE Board of Directors.
- The 10th U.S. National Conference on Earthquake Engineering (10NCEE) to be held July 21-25, 2014 in Anchorage, Alaska. This event will bring together more than a thousand earthquake risk reduction professionals from the U.S. and beyond covering issues critical to earthquake engineers, scientists, policymakers, and disaster mitigation. For more information, visit: www.10ncee.org.
- ETH Zurich establishes a multi-disciplinary research team to work on problems of deep geoenergy reservoirs, specifically for enhanced geothermal systems (EGS) and CO2 storage in saline aquifers. The team will initially comprise five postdoctoral to senior researchers that will participate in a growing cross-disciplinary research program, involving several professorships at ETH and with strong times to other national and international partner institutions and local industry.
New Research Team - Deep Geothermal Energy
Five positions from postdoctoral to senior research level
New Research Team Risk Governance HydroEnergies and GeoEnergies
Three positions from postdoctoral to senior researcher level
- Henry Lagorio, Professor Emeritus of Architecture and former Associate Dean of the College of Environmental Design at the University of California Berkeley passed away on October 1st - A funeral mass will be held on Thursday, Oct. 17 at 10:30 AM at Holy Spirit/Newman Hall, 2700 Dwight Way (at College Ave.) in Berkeley. [read more]
Iwan Receives ASCE Theodore von Karman Medal - For thematically rich engineering mechanics contributions to analysis and design of critical systems and structures under adverse dynamic loads, for stellar mentorship of numerous students, and for exemplary leadership in aseismic societal preparedness. [read more]
Prof. Wilfred D. Iwan
- Three CUREE members Inducted Into National Academy of Engineering - Congratulations to Professor Gregory G. Deierlein (Stanford University), Professor Edward Kavazanjian (Arizona State University), and Professor Sharon L. Wood (University of Texas at Austin) on their election to the National Academy of Engineering [read more]
- CUREE Seed-funding Proposals Awarded - A seed-funding solicitation was sent out in late 2012 that offered funding to enable the development of the project ideas of CUREE members. From the proposals submitted, three were selected to receive development funds in the amount of $10,000 each.
The awarded proposals are:
Fire Following Earthquake: Exploring Potential Funding Opportunities
- Team Lead: Maria Garlock, Princeton University and Tara Hutchinson, University of California, San Diego
Development, Integration and Large-Scale Validation of Seismic Protection Systems for Increased Seismic Resilience
- Team Lead: Michael Symans, Rennselear Polytechnic Institute
A CUREE Workshop in 2013 on Development of Torsional SSI Provisions and Other Advances for Earthquake Engineering
- Team lead: Ronald Y.S. Pak, University of Colorado, Boulder
- Project Updates - Quick reports for NEES Cityblock and the NEES Nonstructural Project now available - updated 02/07/13.
- CUREE at the 15WCEE -
Bob Reitherman, Executive Director of CUREE, along with Polat Gülken, president of the IAEE, presented the keynote address on the fifty year history of the Internation Association for Earthquake Engineering (IAEE).
CUREE also hosted a special evening reception for friends and colleagues. [more]
- CUREE Education and Outreach Services: [learn more]
- 2014 CUREE Calendar - Earthquake Mythology - features photos, project updates, and an essay by Robert Reitherman on various earthquakes myths and legends. available now! [view more]
- (New Release!) NEHRP Seismic Design Technical Briefs No. 8 - Seismic Design Steel Special Concentrically Braced Frame Systems - by R. Sabelli, C. W. Roeder, and J. F. Hajjar
The NEHRP Seismic Design Technical Briefs are an ongoing publication series, part of the NEHRP Consultants Joint Venture - a partnership of ATC and CUREE, in cooperation with MCEER, and PEER. [read more]
- Earthquake Damage and Assessment and Repair Project:
General Guidelines for the Assessment and Repair of Earthquake Damage in Residential Woodframe Buildings* edited by J. Osteraas (* winner of the 2008 Excellent in Engineering Award)
Out of Stock - digital copies still available
- NEES Nonstructural report series: Modeling and Seismic Evaluation of Nonstructural Components: Testing Frame for Experimental Evaluation of Suspended Ceiling Systems, by A. M. Reinhorn, K. P. Ryu and G. Maddaloni
- NEES Nonstructural report series: Experimental Seismic Evaluation, Model Parameterization, and Effects of Cold-Formed Steel-Framed Gypsum Partition Walls on the Seismic Performance of an Essential Facility, by R. Davies, R. Retamales, G. Mosqueda and A. Filiatrault
- Building Bridges Between Civil Engineers and Science Museums - funded by the Informal Science Education branch of NSF, this monograph completed by CUREE is now available for a free PDF download [read more]
- CUREE-Caltech Woodframe Project:
Recommendations for Earthquake Resistance in the Design and Construction of Woodframe Buildings by K. Cobeen, J. Russell, and J. D. Dolan
On this day in history, the April 16, 1980 Tasikmalaja, Java Earthquake occurred.